Princess Amelia may not even have been aware that a township and village were being named after her in faraway Upper Canada. The earliest European settlers, United Empire Loyalists, had sacrificed everything with their allegiance to her father, King George the third, during the American Revolution. Now they were starting again in this newly surveyed county named after her brother, Edward. Her sisters Mary and Sophia had townships to the south.
Early villages grew up around mills and Ameliasburgh is a good example. The earliest developments are shrouded in the mists of history but a small hamlet began below the seventy-five foot limestone escarpment. Industry really took off when Owen Roblin came to town. He blasted a sixty foot long canal fifteen feet wide and eight feet deep from the lake to the escarpment. In 1842 with his big new supply of water Roblin was able to power a thirty foot water wheel that supplied power for a five storey stone flour mill. Horse drawn wagons carried bags of wheat and rye flour to the docks in nearby Rednersville. Large quantities were shipped to Montreal, and during the American Civil War the mill worked around the clock. There is a gap in the village where this impressive mill once stood but it can still be seen, restored and in working order in Black Creek Pioneer Village, Toronto.
Ameliasburgh, known in its heyday as Roblin`s Mill, was a bustling village with numerous enterprises and industrious citizens. Owen Roblin himself worked as the postmaster until his death at aged ninety-seven. The village has quietened down in the past century but there are a lot of interesting features and stories to be learned if one takes the time to become acquainted with Ameliasburgh.