Roblin’s Mill and Millpond
Owen Roblin constructed a five-storey stone mill in 1842 in what is now Ameliasburgh village. Roblin blasted a channel from Roblin’s Lake to the mill site to provide water to power the huge stones for grinding grain into flour. The mill closed in the 1920’s and was dismantled in 1965 and the interior was moved to Black Creek Pioneer Village in Toronto. A plaque has been erected along the top of the escarpment where the mill once stood.
The millpond below the hill is now part of the Harry Smith Conservation Area. Picnic tables and a hiking trail form major attractions of the Conservation Area.
Grove Cemetery is also located along the shore of the millpond, and is the final resting place of poet Al Purdy.